There are hundreds of posts on the web about which weapons to use against zombies. Most are nothing more than a list of ways to get yourself killed. So here is a list of the worst weapons. Pay attention, this might save your life.
1. Handguns. The worst weapon you could possibly choose. The accuracy and range of most handguns leaves much to be desired. To be of much use the target needs to be close. Once the dead have come within this range fear kicks in. With fear comes adrenalin. With adrenalin comes an unsteady hand. At this point a headshot is all but impossible contrary to what the movies would have us believe. Unless highly trained and battle hardened, only use that handgun on yourself.
2. Fully automatic weapons. These weapons when deployed against zombies will have little effect other than self demoralization. The effect on morale after unloading one of these into a group of zombies and only managing to score a handfull of headshots will be devastating. Don't waste your time.
3. Fire, acid, and other chemicals. There may be some situations were things of this nature can be effective. Most of the time they are a bigger threat to the user simple due to the injuries inflicted. Most will little or no effect on the dead. Best used for disposal purposes only
4. Swords, knives, and other archaic weapons. The effectiveness of these weapons is not in doubt here. With the advent of firearms these weapons have fallen into disuse as a killing implements. As such the skilled people required to create true fighting weapons have been lost. Most examples that can be found are cheap knock offs that WILL break upon being used in battle.
Knives are great tools that any survivor should carry but the effectiveness of them to guarantee penetration of the skull is in doubt.
5. Sporting equipment. Baseball bats, hockey sticks, etc. These simply were not design for sustained combat. Alluminum bats will flatten and lose effectiveness quickly. If pressed a wooden bat can be used but constantly question it's durability. Any fan of baseball has surely seen a bat splinter on contact will a ball. Just imagine what the outcome will be from repeated blows to a skull.
Ultimately the best weapon humans have is our ability to think, something the dead completely lack. Use your brain and hopefully I will not need to destroy it with my trusty crowbar.