Are you a leader of a Post Zombie Apocalypse Compound/Fort/Base or group? If you are then I have a pivotal tool for you. It started out as a joke but morphed in a The “Commanders Apocalypse List of Living Survivors” or C.A.L.L.S for short. A comprehensive Post Apocalyptic Leadership Guide. We always hear a lot about “prepping for the apocalypse.” This usually brings to mind stockpiles, weapons, transportation and other such tenants of “Survivor Lore.” What hasn’t been addressed is the perspective of a “leader” during the Zombie Apocalypse. Weather you were chosen, thrown in, appointed or self - appointed to your position. One thing is certain you’re going to have to deal with broad spectrum of people. With little or no choice in the matter as the goal is to survive against the living dead. So if you’re ready to answer The C.A.L.L.S, I present you with:
The Commanders Apocalypse Listing of Living Survivors:
1. The Political Survivor - A "Political Survivor" is no different than a modern day "Politician." They will let you do all the work build the shelter, set up the barricade and stock the food. Then they will come along when the hard work is complete and tell you how they should be the leader. They are exceptionally skilled talkers and will plant the seeds of disharmony in your camp before telling you they were only “trying to help” and that “only they can get you out of this.” It’s like having a snake doing your negotiating for you. “The Political Survivor” believes in the benefits of hard work your hard work. These folks are just like what their namesake implies “Political. “ They use drawn out and convoluted processes to make even them simplest decisions seem complex. While they are focused on controlling the masses wielding power and influence. The dead however will keep coming as a truly unified force with one goal. When it comes to your “Political Survivor” they are better at asking questions than they are at answering them. Most importantly when things fail under their rule as the always will. They go into “blame mode” and in case you’re wondering it will never be their fault. This survivor can stay only if you put them in their place immediately. This “Survivor Type” will complicate the Zombie Apocalypse as they have complicated the current state of the world.
2. The Psycho Survivor - This person is usually a guy and was either "nutty as a fruit cake" before the zombie apocalypse or is using the dead walking as an excuse to do all the deviant things he wanted to do in life. It does not matter how they came to be “psychotic. “ Weather they were this way before the outbreak or they have snapped from the pressure of the crisis. A “Psycho Survivor” is simply going to wreak havoc in this new world until he or she dies or is killed. All they are concerned with is what their disjointed thought process can conceive and that’s not good for you or your people. There is no difference between “giving in” and “giving up” when the dead rise. The problem with having a "Psycho Survivor" in you midst is they are more dangerous than the zombies these guys or gals are as likely to harm you or others as they are to effectively kill the dead. They aren’t concerned with survival tactics or fortifications. In their sick mind they could see the hordes of zombies as worshipers or pink elephants who no one knows for. You have more than enough to deal with trying to survive another day and what you don’t need is someone completely unhinged and out of control. There is no reasoning with a “Psycho Survivor” no logic, no treatment you can give. This survivor has to be dealt with in a more permanent manner because letting them go could even be lethal. Most “Psychotics” aren’t just going to wander away and leave you alone and letting them stay is not an option in your “hideout.” You could sooner control fire than you could these folks
3. The Catatonic Survivor - The stress and the strain of the dead rising to consume the living and losing family and friends. Has driven this person to the edge of shock and there is no real way to tell if they are every coming back. Unlike other “Mentally Strained” survivors this type poses no direct danger to you and your group. You will do what you can and have others attempt to help “The Catatonic Survivor” because you have other pressing matters to contend with. No one said fighting off the living dead would be easy and while everyone deals with stress differently. This person has shut down completely and totally. It is possible with given time and training you could treat this person. In the initial stages of the outbreak there won’t be time for this type of compassion. Maybe in the later stages after you are setup and barricaded in but there is a problem here. That is you’re more likely to see a “Catatonic Survivor Type” during the chaotic events of the initial outbreak. Meanwhile you’re wasting time and valuable supplies trying to get this person to come around. Here is maybe your first moral test of the Zombie Apocalypse. Do you leave this person and shed the anchor or do you do the right thing and help them. Which puts you and your fellow survivors at risk? With this survivor type let your conscious be your guide. Because leaving your humanity behind is exactly what the zombies have done.
4. The Going out with a Bang Survivor - This survivor type is almost always a guy as well. For some odd reason realizing the end is near. This survivor only wants to party, have sex and get loaded. This guy is very dangerous any female with in arms reach is at risk hell in some cases any guy too! The danger with this survivor type is that they aren’t interested in fortifying the bunker or stockpiling supplies just partying. Most importantly he is usually loud ad as hell. This during the Zombie Apocalypse is most times a fatal and avoidable mistake. They have no desire to do anything constructive nor do they give a shit about you trying to survive. The will exhibit self destructive behaviors towards themselves and others. While you might not want to die their actions will always put you in a position where you’re worse off than you were. This survivor type has to go! If they want to meet the “Grim Reaper” so bad feel free to help them arrange the meeting. Don’t let them schedule a group meeting with “Death” but not theirs yours and your groups meeting.
5. The Accidental Survivor - In the "Accidental Survivors" life things have always lent themselves to chance. Everyone knows someone who's "accidentally" lucky or unlucky. Instead of being born with a “Silver Spoon” in their mouths they were born with a “Horseshoe up their ass.” Somehow this person was in a bunker or surrounded by police or sleeping through the whole thing. They say that “chance favors the prepared” but in their case it favors “the inept.” Finally when they come to terms they’ve lucked up on your little well stocked, fortified hideout. This “survivor type” is nice to have around because sometimes this dumb luck comes in handy and they are usually likeable enough folks. You’ll need competent willing hands to help and everyone can’t be leader. Keep this “Survivor Type” around for sure. Just keep them away from anything dangerous. Because as Magneto said “In chess the pawns go first.”
6. The Badass Survivor - This muscle bound "Alpha Male" type of survivor is beneficial up to a point. He’s a blunt object used to beat things into submission. As a leader you must lead and fight switching between “Politician and General” with ease. Like every “General” you will need well trained, loyal and eager “Soldiers.” He will be a human weapon but he will also lack discipline. Unlike an inanimate weapon a living weapon is prone to break downs due to this lack of discipline. “The Badass Survivor” is a broadsword not a scalpel and like any other weapon he has to be kept in check and focused. Same as an unloaded gun its best to keep him pointed "down range" because he is apt to go off with an unprovoked "bang" at any time. This guy is always ready for a fight and sleeps with a loaded weapon (he did this long before the zombies made a mess of things). When the time comes for a fight this guy doesn't back down and he doesn't lose often but he won't back down or admit the odds aren't in his favor. Now you know why a guy with such traits isn’t a leader. It’s because he has chosen a lifetime of exercising and working out. He builds all the muscle of his body to their maximum except the ones that count his heart and his mind. This type of survivor is an asset to have the more the better but he will test your leadership skill as playing nice with others isn't something he's been able to do since he slid from the womb. There is the rare “Badass Survivor” who is a well honed blend of mind and muscle. Keep you eyes open he’s like finding a diamond in a living dead world.
7. The Overly Analytical Survivor - This Survivor was probably an accountant or IRS auditor before things went to shit and zombies ran amok. This person will make a list and over complicate any situation. In the Zombie Apocalypse this could be extremely dangerous or even fatal but when used in moderation. This survivor type can take care of the burden of food stockpiling, ammo rationing and other important task while you focus on survival and escape plans. Make sure you can trust this individual though before you go handing them the keys to the kingdom. Because as adapt as they are at making list and organizing they are probably equally skilled at the fine art of deception. Using a shell game of numbers to benefit themselves before cutting out with what you have fought to stockpile. Don’t get fooled yourself because your followers. Are actually only following you for your shelter, food and protection. That being said they will follow whoever can provide them with these things. When the dead walk “Living Survivors” loyalty will be fleeting as the concepts of peace and quiet, but you will be left to discern who’s with you and whose using you. However when used correctly every outpost will need several of these Survivor Types but remember they are not for Battle or Escape Planning as they will over complicate the shit out of things.
8. The Hoarder Survivor - Now popularized by reality TV but in your group this “Survivor Type” is not someone who is pity inducing or laughably mentally ill. This “Survivor Type” is greedy and selfish but they are also in most instances sly and coy. They're playing a game with you and your group taking a bullet here and a few cans of food there. Nothing serious if you have you "Overly Analytical Type" to watch you stockpile. The "Hoarder Survivor" also will likely draw the ire of you "Badass Survivor Types." Who will likely kill the "hoarder" the first chance they get. When you recognize the "Hoarder Type" in your midst they must be dealt with immediately and decisively. No other "Survivor Type" will cause a fracture in you happy compound faster. They can not be changed period for some people the compulsive behavior that breeds “Hoarding.” Also causes “The Hoarder Survivor” to show no concern for themselves or others. They’re dealing with a crippling “Mental Illness” that drives their actions. The "Hoarder Type" will be the first to abandon your and your group cutting out the back door at the first sign of trouble. They will grab useless items before fleeing or even warning anyone else. I'd also like to point out that the nature of this person is as such that they probably won't lock the door when they leave. There by jeopardizing everyone and everything you've worked so hard to compile. Here’s the trick if you can focus this person “compulsions” and use them to your advantage. Even your list loving “Overly Analytical Survivor Type” can’t compete with the “Hoarder Survivor.” You will have at your disposal a person who without a list can pinpoint an item within seconds in what looks a chaotic junk pile. A skill than can come in handy when seconds count. This "Survivor Type" must be dealt with but you don't have to kill them. Either kick them out but with provisions to survive or have someone to police them day and night.
9. The Scardy Cat Survivor - This "Survivor Type" unlike everyone else isn’t just scared they are literally paralyzed with fear. We’ve all heard the phrase “they had the shit scared out of them!” Well now you’ve met just such a person. Unlike the "Catatonic Survivor Type" this "Scardy Cat" babbles instead of talks and genuinely creeps every else out. They aren’t quite and will give away your position. This “Survivor Type” is prone to fits of rage or vocal outburst. Which given you current state isn’t good because if you attract one zombie you will eventually attract hundreds. Meanwhile they’re consuming valuable supplies and taking up space. They can't be counted on for anything and are literally fucking useless. You risk the lives of others by giving the "Scardy Cat" any responsibility or including them on any missions. They tell you what they can't do or won't do and while we aren't condemning anyone for being scared. They need to pitch in or be pitched the fuck out! You would think someone who wasn’t contribution would try and slink off and not be noticed or simply stay out of the way. Not “The Scardy Cat Survivor” they make demands and also feel that they should be included in on ever decision. When they do so the “Scardy Cat” will test your patience and challenge your right to lead the group. All the while this coward will tell everyone what they shouldn’t be responsible for. This "Survivor Type" is utterly useless and will test your moral compass during the Apocalypse. For while they aren't bad people there's already enough "dead" weight in the world you will have to bear. To paraphrase "Red" from The Shawshank Redemption "Get busy living or get busy dying."
10. The Hero Type - This "Hero Type" is the leader and everyone looks to them for support and the pressure is heavy. Only the "Hero Type" is equipped to bear the burden of erasing everyone's short comings. This "Survivor Type" makes those around them better and brings out character traits most people didn't know they possessed. A “Hero Type” will draw their strength from internal motivations and courage. They have no predetermined size, shape, race, religion, or gender. With this “Survivor Type” looks can be deceiving. There are only a few "True Hero Types" in this world and even fewer will survive as they are prone to helping others and refuse to leave "anyone" behind. A "True Hero" will help every one of the other twenty five “Survivor Types” as well as any of the other types yet to mention of which there are dozens more. In life people were drawn to this "Survivor Type" he or she is the type of person that when they speak everyone around will in generally listen. They command respect by actions and virtue. The "Hero Types" biggest down fall is looking for the best in other and selflessly giving of them. More than one “Hero Type” will be drug down to their demise by the living dead as someone they helped survive or have saved from death watches from a hiding place. This "Survivor Type" is your "Knight in Shining Armor" and should be your most prized assets. They will help above all others and are honest and can be taken at face value. They should be watched though for signs of pressure, stress and doubt. For their self confidence can be the difference between the survival of the entire group and its demise at the hands of the undead. The key to remember about the “Hero Type” is they will never ever tell you that they are a “Hero.” The true burden of leadership is never asked for its inherited. This should be you as a leader!
11. The Formerly Important Survivor - What is unique about this survivor type is there "assumptive control." They "assume" because they were a CEO, Investment Banker, or otherwise "powerful and wealthy" individual before the dead rose. That this fact translates into them being more worthy of the role of leader so the “assume” it’s theirs. Anyone not backing down will get an ear full. They will attempt to use the ways of the “boardroom” to knuckle you under their thumb. This is the type of person who before, during and after the Zombie Apocalypse. Prescribe to that age old philosophy “if you can’t be right be loud.” This asshole will probably still be in his expensive suit and wear it no matter how filthy or damaged it becomes. Because in the absence of a “true penis.” He will need something expensive to show his manhood. A trophy wife, car, plane suit and so on anything to say “look at me world.” This is no “boardroom” and there are no meetings to plan strategies or reports to compile. During the Zombie Apocalypse only those who can think for themselves freely and independently for themselves need apply for leadership positions. Following this corporate “mouthpiece” will lead you to the mouths of the living dead every time. Most importantly they completely ignore the zombies milling about in favor of "assuming" that they are still in charge. You could never tell this "asshole" when you worked for them that they were "dumb as a brick or a treacherous leech" back when you worked for them or their company but now feel free. Make it a point to correct the "The Formerly Important Survivor" as soon as possible because like any "executive (or spoiled child of)" they have no clue what the fuck is going on. Physical labor is foreign to them and usually so is self defense. So this leaves you with useless "megalomaniac." If not corrected quickly this survivor type will also sow the seeds of rebellion in you group. This survivor type can be allowed to stay only after being shown their. There has to be a latrine or toilet somewhere to clean.
12. The Local Law Enforcement Survivor - Here is a "must have Survivor Type" for your merry band of survivors. Local Law Enforcement is more loyal and trustworthy because they are in generally from the community they serve. This is why they are less likely to give up on the “locals” or on the local town. These folks will offer help to friend and stranger alike. They usually don’t over complicate things. They’re more likely to be “Doers than Thinkers.” Which make them high dependable in a bind. You will more than likely know them and you will more than likely know their families too. This key fact makes them an asset and easy to trust because as they strive to protect the community, and save their family. You can easily get on board with them or let them into your sanctuary. Their training, access to weapons, and knowledge as well as their ability to be in the loop with "Intel" with other agencies. This demands that they be given a position of authority in your group. They will know the “local” area and if you are on the move be capable of directing you around compromised or infested areas. Avoiding conflict will be critical in all stages of the Zombie Apocalypse. The thing to watch out for is the natural trust that you have for a Local Law Enforcement member is by no means universal. You can always find a bad cop but use your judgment wisely. There will be “rogue” Law Enforcement who is as dangerous as any “Survivors” you will meet. They will come in and make an immediate power grab and that means taking you down. The other thing to watch for is to be checked upon your initial meeting. They guys and gals will be on the front line of the onslaught and usually miss, or be under informed. This leads to their exposure risk being very high. Make sure there aren’t any hiding bites or scratches that can bring down your base from the inside out. They may want to tell you their way is right and that the injured need to be treated. This is half true the “injured” do need to be treated but the “infected” need to be put down. The longer you wait the more bullets it will take from your precious stash. Keep this "Survivor Type" around for sure.
13. The Elderly/Infirmed/Disabled Survivor - Most often this "Survivor Type" is often ignored or overlooked by virtually every who doesn't fall into one of these headers. What you as a "leader” will see with this survivor is going to conflict with what you as a "person" sees. Here will be a glaring "Moral Dilemma" for you to decide "life or death" versus "to help or not to help." A person who has done no wrong to anyone and will be most assuredly thankful to you for saving them but it is possible they will consume much needed supplies and cost valuable time in a 'Flight Situation." Will you compromise your "humanity and overlook" these survivor? They are human too and they can have value as well. Much like in today’s society we look past those who are old or infirmed as a burden. However there are skills that a sharp mind can provide you with. As the elderly have a vast wealth or knowledge that can be tapped. We and our future generations can learn from. Need help stretching food? Who is better at conserving food stock than someone who has survived “The Great Depression?” I say you keep this "Survivor Type" because at what cost do you give up your "Humanity?" This makes the difference between you and the horde of mindless zombies at your door. If we give up our humanity we might as well give up and let the dead win.
14. The Military Survivor - Now here is a cliché' "Survivor Type" but don't allow that to cloud you judgment. They come in to two distinct types and can embody traits from every category class. First the "Officers" these are trained leaders. They have discipline most times and access to weapons, vehicles, guns, food, Intel and subordinates. This "Survivor Type" will "assume control" most times but unlike others they have what it takes to back up their talk. The "officer" type if stable and trustworthy should be welcomed in your cabinet of leadership. They are master planers and use to defending bunkered down fortified structures. The problem here is the "trust" of the "Officer Class" can only be earned upon you meeting them face to face but they are also masters of deceptions. Once they get in if they are bad they are like ticks and almost impossible to get rid of. If they have gone "Rogue" they usually have the firepower to make your life miserable and slaughter anyone trying to stand against them. The Second class is the "Soldier" this class of military survivor is just like you or I. They work hard and do what they are told. Unlike the "Officer Class" the "Soldier Class" usually works in groups for them its all about leadership. If you are a solid confident and knowledgeable leader the "Soldier Class" will fall right into place but in the absence of a strong leader. "Soldier Class Survivors" can wreak havoc in you group leaving no one safe. This class of this "Survivor Type" should be kept around at all cost because when they are trustworthy they will fortify and strengthen your group making up its core. Use your "gut" when deciding to admit this "Survivor Type" to you Compound being a leader requires you to be a good judge of character. A word to the wise you should try to observe these “Survivor Types” before they can do recon on you. Rest assured because they will be watching you and your team. From a hidden vantage point you can tell weather the "Military Survivors" before you are honest or not.
15. The Child Survivor - Lets not bullshit ourselves here as a parent I won't allow us to. Children will live and children will die during the Zombie Apocalypse. This isn't like we've seen in books, movies and more recently cliché' television blog fodder. Children aren't immune to the fetid mouths of the undead. Please make sure this is understood here is the only "Survivor Class" worth not only "fighting for but dying for" as well. Not only should you keep this "Survivor Type" around your group but you should be prepared to wade in hip deep into zombie hordes to save one. Remember not only is this a concrete "Moral Obligation" but the future of the human race. Machines can be repaired, buildings can be rebuilt, food can be restocked but it takes nine months to have a child and another eighteen to raise said child. They only way you and your group survive and make any head way against the dead is to outlast the masses of corpses walking about by generations not by days or years.
16. The Optimistic Survivor - This "Survivor Type" has the power of hope on their side and unless you just plan on giving up that's a good thing. Having this person around is a plus for you as a leader because while you are worrying surviving or a flimsy barricade. They're keeping the groups "spirits" up. Staying focused on the positive and the goals needed to not just survive but maybe even thrive. In a time when everyone will have experienced loss, doubt and hopelessness these folks will still be positive. An "Optimistic Survivor" will focus and direct attention to what you have not what you don't and while this "glass half full" mentality is bound to piss off and genuinely irritate ninety percent of the people around them. It still focuses everyone on something other than the overwhelming bleak situation you and your fellow survivors have found yourselves in. As a leader think of the stress relief benefits of having at least one person who isn't yelling "all is lost" every five seconds. Keeping this “Survivor Type” around is critical to your group’s morale and keeping them positively motivated key.
17. The Conspiracy Theory/Survivalist Survivor - This "Survivor Type" was pissing in jars in their basement yesterday but last night a zombie outbreak happened. Now this morning they're a fucking genius of the highest order. They will be peculiar, odd, talk to themselves and smell funny. They have also groomed themselves to live off what they have and to be discrete. Years of isolation have made the "Conspiracy Theory/ Survivalist Survivor" unpredictable and paranoid but when the dead walk these traits become assets. It maybe hard to sort through all the ramblings but you must listen and use your discretion to discern what “paranoid gibberish” is and what fact is. In general this "Survivor Type" will probably be closer than you think to the truth. They will however creep the shit out of everyone else in the fort, so keep them busy. If this survivor is kept busy they usually level out somewhat and at least make an attempt to be social and of benefit to the group. If you choose to dismiss them though do so at your own peril. They can compromise your defenses, sabotage your food/weapons and generally cause no suffering untold. “The Conspiracy/Survivalist Survivor” is not to be confused with “The Prepper Survivor.” The key difference is “Preppers” hope the fall of society never comes. While “Conspiracy/Survivalist” always knew or hoped it would. This "Survivor Type" should be kept around in your group but it’s your job as a leader to keep them engaged and focus. If the aren't the will easily slip into the realm of "The Psychotic Survivor" and should that happen you're going to loose some people to the mayhem at best at worst you and everyone dies.
18. The Religious Cult Leader - The usual problem with this particular type of "crazed survivor" is unique to them and also comes with a subset. It’s not God or his word that's problem. The problem is the men or women who choose to warp and bend them for their own benefit and say they are doing "the Lords work." I feel confident in saying when God is ready to return he won't tip off a Forty year old petty criminal with a shady past who dropped out of high school. Most of us can see this "Survivor Type" coming a mile away and to them that's fine. Why because they want the weak minded, and easily led from among your group. Initially they will lend themselves to the group and appear "heaven sent" masking themselves as one of or multiple positive "Survivor Types." Slowly they will whisper words and begin to pander influence. It will be like talking to a used car salesman who manipulating Gods words for their own use. As they will no longer have any elderly Floridians, Texans or Tennesseans to fleece out of retirement savings and social security checks. This Snake charmer with their slimy words will look to a new target for new purposes. With no further need for money they will begin to transact business in the flesh and human lives. The change will be easy to see a "True" person of God says "God and/or The Lord" when they speak. However “The Religious Cult Leader” uses “I and Me” almost exclusively. That is until it's time for work or sacrifices then its "We (translated as you) and you (also translated as you)." What makes them truly dangerous is they're never alone and their weak minded gullible followers will attach "False God like qualities" to this person. These "Zealots" will stop at nothing to appease their "cult leader." This includes murder or suicide which is funny because Gods word doesn’t command you to do either. In the end days when may will see zombies seeking warm human flesh as a sign of the end times straight from the "Book of Revelations." "The Religious Cult Leader" and his "Zealots" have no place among you and your band. They have no true "divine gifts or providences only greed and self serving motives. You'll never change "The Religious Cult Leader" or his "Zealots. Dump the lot of them and put as much distance between your group and them as possible. If you are stationary and they know where your home base is. You do what is necessary to ensure your groups continued survival. The dead aren't the only thing you have to fear and protect yourself from.
19. The Jack of All Trades Survivor - Here is one of the best classes of survivors a virtual human "Multi tool." No other "Survivor Type" is more universally beneficial to you and your fortified structure. Everyone knows that one guy or gal who can repair a car engine, patch a hole in a wall and make a meal from almost anything. Here is a person who their whole life they have displayed a skill when it comes to working with their hands. They can be anything from a petty criminal to a military vet but their abilities have grown as their life experiences have. When it comes to "Survivor Types" this class can help you both inside a barricaded facility and on the move. This survivor can help you cook or kill. This class of survivor usually shies away from or flat out rejects positions of leadership. Don't let this fool you they are more dependable than almost any other "Survivor Type." Its simple with the "Jack of All Trades Survivor" they're ultra dependable, loyal, useful, level headed and well seasoned. They will be thrown aback by the Zombie Apocalypse at first like everyone else but one they get a grasp on the situation and come to terms with it. They will apply the same virtues and traits that have taught them so much in life and adapt to the Zombie Apocalypse too. You need this "Survivor Type" around you and your groups in abundance so keep them and be able to recognize and recruit them whenever possible.
20. The Prepper Survivor- Here's a "Survivor Type" that’s the Survivor equivalent of "friends with benefits." "Survivor with benefits" the best thing about this "Survivor Type" is that they come with a well stocked pantry, in some cases weapons and in even rarer cases a fortified hideout. Now if you happen to find a "Prepper Type" survivor in their "compound" you have to deal with them on their own terms. This will usually be the case as the "Prepper Type" of survivor is very reluctant to leave their "home base" and its comforts. This type of survivor will almost always go down with "the ship" believing their preparations are more than adequate and foolishly die rather than bug out. Here is the issue with this "Survivor Type" they more often than not have spent years obsessively "hoarding" supplies and prepping for the (insert cause) Apocalypse here. They prepare for everything from “EMPs, to Radiation, Volcanic eruptions, Civil Unrest, Solar Flares” and on and on to no end. Very rarely do you find a "Prepper Type" who is preparing for the unrest of the undead. So this leads to massive stockpiling but limited fortification and in the Zombie Apocalypse that comes before all. What good is going out of your of your way to stockpile food and supplies to rot as the walking dead shuffle about your domicile covered in your entrails? This "Survivor Types" only other short coming is they are more likely to believe there way is the right way and be stuck in the past. They'll spend precious time nobody can spare talking about days gone by and how they stocked everything and secured the fort. On their terms they will have to be reasoned with until you show them you can be trusted and you earn your keep. On your terms they can lead you to stocked goods that you can almost guarantee will be accessible and this is invaluable. A word to the wise is being careful when approaching this type of survivors “territory.” The Prepper can and most often will be skittish and defensive. Prone to shooting first and asking questions later. This "Survivor Type" should be kept at all cost they can be anything from your savior to your fall back position to everything in-between. Their scavenging skills will be of great use, they have no fear of work and are used to operating discretely. In the times of the living these can't be overstated as to their importance.
21. The Guy Dressed as a Clown - Dead or alive shoot this creepy crazy son of a bitch on site. Do you really trust someone who in all the chaos of the Zombie Apocalypse is still running around dressed as a clown? If you do then you are not worth a dime as a leader.
22. The Alcoholic/Addict Survivor - While conventional wisdom says an Alcoholic or an Addict is not a handicap. Our "Politically Correct" society has taught us that the Alcoholic and the Addict are "sick and handicapped." While I may not agree this is your compound and not mine. I feel different for a person who is born or has become physically or mentally handicapped. Than ones who purposely chooses to surround themselves in a chemically induced stupor. Both the Alcoholic and The Addict are undependable the addict far more so because they are consumed with the need to find and satisfy their addiction. The Alcoholic is more of an inconvenient than a determent and alcohol is probably more readily in supply than say a pound of coke. Now the idea of an Addict wired on coke or meth pulling round the clock sentry duty. While in the midst of an 8 day binge may seem attractive at first. Unless your zombie foes come rolling up in a police car with the lights and sirens going. They’re going to miss them anyway the highly unpredictable nature of such a person means they should be kept as far away from anything critical. The Alcoholic can at least function unless they are drunk and they can at the very least sense danger unless they are smashed. Therefore both the Alcoholic and the Addict present a problem they are unpredictable, and undependable. When you need them the most The Alcoholic/Addict could be at their worst and that can and eventually cost lives. During the times when the dead attack the living your most valuable tool is a sharp mind and your most valuable weapon is a willing body. You can not afford either and you don’t want to be responsible for dragging them to and fro when moving quickly is all that separates you from life or death. As a leader realize some folks will turn to any means to forget the pain and suffering even if for a bit and I have no problem with that. The questions is "do you want an addict leaving your defenses open to go search for a hit?" The answer is of course "No!" This "Survivor Type" should ONLY be kept around if they can be straightened up period. They can be just as dangerous as the "Psychotic Survivor Type" if left unchecked.
23. The Raider Survivor - Here's the only "Survivor Type" whose goal is direct confrontation with the living. If you have it they want it and in most cases giving it to them will not satisfy them. Anything of value they will take supplies, food, weapons, shelter and that also includes humans as well. "The Raider Survivor Type" is one of the true reasons you will need firearms in your compound as the dead are best dispatched quietly and only as needed. There are only three benefits to being in or with this "Survivor Type". These thieves travel in large groups which offer protection. They are very well armed and usually very well trained. Also they usually have a reserve of supplies and the means by which to restock them. The Raiders don't have to be mobile they can have a set base of operations as long as their goal is to secure provisions by force from others they are a "Raider Type." Most folks who come across Raiders will either be absorbed into the Raider group or killed. When a "Raider Survivor Type" is discovered they must be dealt with swiftly especially if they are aware of where you "base" is. They won't stop even at risk to themselves to overrun you and your group. Setting up defenses against unthinking zombies is one thing but free thinking vengeful criminals is another. In some cases they Raider will breech your defenses and then let the dead do their work for them. Waiting around they will simply pick up the pieces of what’s left. Never keep this "Survivor Type" around dispatch them when you find them attempting to infiltrate your positions. I'm not saying pick a fight but I am saying be prepared for one and if you allow them time to muster their forces. The Raider will come for you and your guns blazing. If you manage to stave off their advances the attention they will bring down upon your group will be unwanted because when they retreat the dead will not.
24. The Prisoner/Convict Survivor - When the Zombie Apocalypse starts some correctional institutions will free their inmates and keep that space for other survivors. Prisons and Jails are meant to keep people in which means they are all excellent at keeping people out. When coming into a correctional facility you are on their terms which are not good at all. This option should be considered as a last option only if it is still chocked full of society’s dregs. Convicts are less likely to have plans to do anything other than survive and the hierarchy is likely to be the same as when the prison was functioning as a prison. Here you will find the most violent criminals and worst of the worst at the top of the food chain. This leaves you and the rest of your group at the bottom of the pile. They are also less likely to purge the more "undesirables" from their midst as they have a higher tolerance for them. Surviving with your family under the rule of killers while among rapist and child molesters is far less appealing than fending off the undead from say a cardboard box. Now when they come among your group dressed in gore covered "orange jumpsuits" this is another dilemma for your leadership skills. Not every Convict/Prisoner is "bad or unwilling to help." That being said they aren't all here to help you build a utopian society either. There is a reason there were imprisoned to begin with. Some prisoners can be uniquely skilled and come in very handy and others can simply be using the end of the world to unleash all their inner demons upon you and yours. Much like anything else the goal here is balance can you and your most trusted people effectively handle a "Prisoner/Convict?" Probably but remember as their numbers grow with in your midst then it becomes harder to control them. Another dynamic to consider is "Prisoner/Convicts Survivor Types" are used to working together against authority and they usually have less issues working together than "regular" folks. If you keep them around then allow it in moderation and consider the crime/offense and their skill levels. Physical labor isn't going to be a problem her but trust will. On a side note certain types Rapist, Serial Killers and especially Child Molesters should be ground up and fed to the living dead "rehabilitation" be damned.
25. The Believer Survivor - This “Believer” isn’t the type you think. They also aren’t an “Optimistic Survivor Type.” They aren’t trying to be positive when they tell you the zombies at your door are still “Alive.” They believe that the sickness or pathogen that has brought the dead back to life to consume the truly “living.” Is just that something that can be “cured” if given the right time and circumstances. The “Believer” tugs at your conscious and heart strings when it comes to killing zombies they simply won’t do it. Some go the guilt route telling you “that’s someone’s more out there” and they’re right it is “someone’s mother.” Someone’s dead mother” but they won’t believe you they refuse to see the logic. That the torn ragged figures surrounding your compound with broken or missing limbs, mortal wounds, bite marks, painful injuries and most importantly rotting maggot infest flesh. These wretched souls are dead by every clinical definition of the word. The other method is “The Believer” is self righteous indignation calling you a “Murderer” for killing people who “sick.” Even when confronted with the logic of there no known “sickness.” That causes sane living beings to “eat” living human beings. Here’s the problem with the situation of “The Believer” hesitation. This “Survivor Type” is trying to find a compromise with the “Zombie Apocalypse Situation.” They want to save the “living” and “the undead.” When there clearly is no compromise to be had either zombies will kill us or we will kill them and it’s that simple. There can be no one among your people you included who is unwillingly to destroy a zombie whenever there is a “human” life in jeopardy. Keep this “Survivor Type” around only and only if they understand the goal of your “Survival Compound.” That goal is the continued existence of the “human race” in other words “Survival.” Zombies aren’t to be studied, caged, corralled, healed, helped, understood, pitied, played with, underestimated, used, trained, guided or anything else. Zombies are to be “killed” by destroying their brains period, point blank and simple.
Anytime man, I found your post to be very intelligently thought out. I agree with it for the most part. I also agree with the fact that people will follow former military. I wouldn't go as far as to call myself a prepper. I am not hording materials and weapons. I have my bugout bag, and a vehicle setup for that plan C type scenario that could happen.
I have voice on some of the other threads before about some of my military experiences. We were never told this is a apocalypse drill, but we ran drills every couple months for fortification of the base, and how to scan civi's entering. A friend of mine who was in intelligence told me one night after one too many rum and cokes that was all in done for a rapid response to civil unrest in cases of large scale pandemic. Read between the lines there as you will my friend.
What bothered me about the alcoholics vs. narcotics was that he seemed to play down alcoholics. It's not that I believe alcoholics are worse, narcotics definitely take the cake, it's just that being an alcoholic isn't a cake walk either. Each of them can be an important part of society, it's just a matter of controlling the urges and getting them off of the drugs/alcohol correctly and hoping they take to the system. No matter what you are addicted to, it is an ugly thing to go through, even if it's cotton candy. All I ask is that you try to realize how difficult addiction is and not judge people based on that. Coming from someone who has been through alcohol and drug addiction, though only minor, it is an awful experience, and it changes the person you are.
Im not judging or down playing addiction Stopper, and I don't think Mr Luckett is either. Ive had a lot of friends in and out of the service who have had addiction issues. One of my best friends from elementary school all the way till now is addicted to narcotics. He has been for probably about 10 yrs off and on. Some people just can't deal with it, and I certainly am not demonizing it by any means. I have a unique point of view from being a medic in the field as a civi. Some addicts can't be trusted at all. I've been shot at, swung on, stabbed at, and spit on by addicts coming down or riding the high. I too would not trust a lot of the people I have encounters as far as they can be picked up and thrown. One of the worst things for the safety of a group is having one person that no one trust. Or worst yet, is having someone that trust no one. So I do understand, but I sympathize with your point of it as well. One of my best friends was my SRT sniper when I was promoted to Staff Sergeant. We were together all the time, and became very close because most of the time he was the guy covering my ass. When our last deployment was done he got md's because of a slipped disc between L2 and L3. He came home and got dependent on oxy's, he had surgery and about 3 months out the VA took his scripts away. He was physically fine, but so chemically dependent he slipped into deep depression. I got a call from his wife that she and their daughter came home from her t ball game and he had ate the end of his pistol. So trust me, I know how real and how painful that addiction can be.
Moved as not to be perceived as a direct reply to your personal experiences.
I agree, in an apocolyptic scenario, I would not trust any type of addict. They are unpredictable and the withdrawl will make them even less trustworthy than normal. However, if you find a former addict who has overcome that withdrawl and is clean, they would probably be a good, hard working person. This is due mostly to the fact that once there are no more drugs or alcohol you look for something else to fill your time, and post-apocolypse you'll have plenty of chores to fill it with.
Do you want that kind of weakness in a person who is supposed to have your back?
Everyone here knows my background. If they don't they can look at my profile page.
I have addicts in my family and I've dealt with addicts in my profession. Unless an addict, no matter the addiction, unless they want to be free of their addiction they are always a liability. If they can not find their addiction of choice they will find something. Most will do what it takes to get what they want. Heroin addicts will hear that people are dying from a certain type of junk. They will flock to buy that junk because they think it will get them closer to the first euphoric high (chasing the dragon) and they think they can handle what killed the other guys. This never ends well. I've worked the cases. A cold turkey stop could help some addicts along. If the stuff they want isn't available and there is nothing available then they could work out. And, you may not even know you have an addict or more in your group at the beginning. Some groups may just be tossed together. At some point it comes up. You work with what you've got. If they can hold their own and not endanger others then they could become an asset. I guess its a lot like anyone else. You don't know how they will react until the SHTF.
I personally wouldn't be picking addicts of any kind to be part of my core group. That includes family members. A cousin has had a heroin addiction since high school. She disappears for a couple years at a time. She'll get arrested and locked up for a couple months or more and when she gets out she's cleaned up and looking to make ammamends with her family. They want her to stay straight but I can see she is just waiting for the oppopportunity. She hooks up with some other loser and the next thing you know she's out and gone again. I feel sad for her family. They have adopted her 3 children who have issues. They are pining away for her to come home. I helped her mom track her down once. No more. At some point they'll get the call to come ID her body.
I deal with addicts on a regular basis in my job. I've arrested them for DUIs in the past, thefts, robberies, fraud and other crimes including homicide. Many of them don't give a shit what they do to others. Some say they care but it doesn't stop them. I'm no therapist and I'm not here to rehabilitate. I'm here, in the real world and ZPOC, to do what I can to make the lives of the people closest to me and my life better and more stable. Addiction throws a wrench in that plan. Addiction has no place in my survival plan. I doubt few addicts would survive anyway.
The Plan is to:
i declare myself the optimistic survivor in every way possible, i still have two plans to either go to Alaska or Prime Predators house...i will message him first.......
and if i get bit before i reach either locations then i have a prepacked bag of a clown outfit complete with bright rainbow afro wig and red nose......