Today's topic: scavenging. Interesting? No. Fun? No. Necessary in order to survive? Hell yes. Sometimes I feel like all I ever do is scavenge. More ammo. Clean water. My next meal. A new shirt. Incidentally, I did find that. A new shirt that is. It's a red flannel thing about two sizes too big and I like it. I'm still looking for the other stuff though.
Kira helps. Sort of. Sometimes she will just disappear for a few hours. Sometimes longer than that. Sometimes she even stays out all night. I guess I worry. We don't really talk or anything but I've just grown accustomed to having her around.But she always comes back. On rare occasions she returns with something halfway useful like a backpack or a new sleeping bag. Every once in a while she even brings back a few canned goods. More often that not, she brings books. I don't know if she reads them or what. A lot of times I see her just randomly throwing them into the fire.
Anyway, scavenging sucks ass. First of all, you pretty much just feel like you're trespassing everywhere. Just breaking into everyone's houses and robbing them. You never really get used to the feeling. And there is always the fear that there might actually be someone inside. Like actual real life alive living breathing people. That still hasn't happened though. Second of all, its tedious. You're lucky to get a few usable items a day. And that's only if your really lucky. Also if you run. Third of all, it actually takes a lot of thought. You need to have a map so you don't get lost. You need some way of marking the houses you've already been to. You have to be able to carry everything you find, which granted isn't much but it's still pretty bulky. Most importantly, you need to have like a legitimate plan and stick to it. Or else you'll die. Simple as that. I'll write mine down here. For posterity. The good of the children and all that bullshit.
1. Target a house.
2. Find some way into the house. Kick down a door. Break a window. Pull a Santa Claus and go down the chimney. Whatever. It doesn't matter as long as you get inside.
3. Clear the house. Check all the rooms. Kill any zombies.
4. Loot any corpses you either find or create. Don't let any zombie get in your mouth or eyes. That's bad. Don't do that. I know it's gross but lots of stray bullets turn up in their pockets. Jewelery makes for interesting trophies.
5. If you have the time, go to the top floor or the attic or wherever the highest point is and work your way down. Search everywhere and take anything that may prove useful. Don' miss the closets. If you have a lot of time then check for wall safes. You can crack the cheap ones pretty easily. They hold guns. If you don' have time refer to step 6.
6. If you don't have the time, raid the kitchen and the medicine cabinet. And maybe a book shelf really quick on your way out the door.
7. Gather your spoils.
8. Mark your territory. I use spray paint when I can find it. If I don't have any, I just tie a rag onto the mailbox. Less dramatic but works just as well.
9. Get the hell out of there.